My 2012 GoodReads Challenge

Was a fail.

I challenged myself to read 15 books this year... and I read 9.

I'll explain why I didn't manage to complete this challenge later on. But first, I'm going to just recap what I did actually read*.
  1. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - 3/5 | Review
  2. Paper Towns by John Green - 4/5 | Review
  3. The Fault in our Stars by John Green - 5/5 | Review
  4. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - 4/5 | Review
  5. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach - 3/5 | Review
  6. Divergent by Veronica Roth - 5/5 | Review
  7. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - 4/5 | Review
  8. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer - 5/5 | Review
  9. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - 5/5 | Review
The stand-out book for me was The Fault in our Stars. Basically, John Green is a master of words. It makes you laugh and cry (like, ugly-sobbing-type crying) in equal measures. If this gets made into a film... I think I might skip wearing makeup.

The surprise read was The Life of Pi. The only reason I started reading it was because, last year, with the iTunes 12 Days of Christmas, I got it free, and one time at work, I had nothing to do so I started reading. And it was well worth it.

So, why didn't I finish the challenge?

One word: fanfiction.

If fanfiction was included in this challenge, I definitely would have completed it. Like, 10 times over. As it is, it isn't and I didn't so...

For 2013, I'm going to aim a little more realistic, with 12 books. Father Christmas was very kind, and I now have a Kindle to read on, so I have no excuse. Hopefully, this time next year I'll be writing about how I completed this challenge, and maybe even surpassed it?


*I've linked each book title to the appropriate Amazon UK page, and to my reviews of the books (either on GoodReads or on this blog).

No comments on "My 2012 GoodReads Challenge"

Leave a Reply